ODSP Benefits and Increases

The Ontario Disability Support Program is available to people who are over 18 years of age and to those who meet a very closely regulated set of criteria.

People with either physical or developmental disabilities in the Province of Ontario may be eligible to receive benefits under the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP).  ODSP is administered by the Ministry of Community, Family and Children's Services. Over 360,000 people receive ODSP benefits. At least 1 family in 10 is the parent or sibling of a person with special needs

The eligibility rules surround issues of assets and income of the person with the disability and their medical condition. The purpose of this program is to provide a basic level of income, prescription drugs and dental care to adults with disabilities. It also provides some basic programs such as the current employment program which is designed to encourage people receiving benefits to enter into the workplace and to retain employment opportunities. For many people with disabilities in Ontario, it is important to maintain these benefits even though they are somewhat limited.

It should also be noted that the benefits under this program are payable until the person with the disability reaches age 65 at which time the Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and the Guaranteed Income Supplement programs take over. Under these programs, the person will continue to receive a modest income, prescription drugs but they will lose their entitlement to funded dental care.

Why do some people receiving Ontario provincial disability benefits receive $896 per month while others receive $273 more at $1169 per month?

The $896 amount is the 'room and board' allowance. If a child lives with the parent they will automatically be slotted into this amount. The $1169 amount is composed approximately of $497 for shelter/rent and $672 for supplementary benefits for everything else.

By setting up a lease arrangement with the parents and having the parents charge at least the shelter allowance amount, the benefits should then be increased to the proper amount.

These shelter payments by a blood relative are not to be included as "rental" income.

Rental losses are not allowed if your rental operation is a cost-sharing arrangement rather than an operation to make a profit.

You can deduct your expenses only if you incur them to earn income. In certain cases, you may ask your son or daughter, or another relative living with you, to pay a small amount for the upkeep of your house or to cover the cost of groceries. You do not report this amount in your income, and you cannot claim rental expenses. This is, in fact, a cost-sharing arrangement, so you cannot claim a rental loss.

The child cannot then make use of the "tenant property tax" credit.

If the child is simply unable to shop or cook, even with supports, then the increased amount may be unavailable on the basis that the food and lodging is provided by the parents. This turns on the facts of each situation.  By contacting our office we may be able to assist even if the child is unable to shop or cook.

Interested in a short Courtesy Assessment?



Adult Guardianship eBook


Henson Trusts eBook


Don't miss out on future newsletters.